Michigan Legacy Plan

Home>Services>Special Needs

Special Needs

Special Needs Planning

Planning for Special Needs children and grandchildren presents 3 important challenges:

Who will care for my Special Needs child?

Where will my Special Needs child live?

How will my Special Needs child save and pay for living expenses?



The loss of a parent or other caregiver can be especially traumatic for your Special Needs individual, who likely survives and thrives in a constant, unchanging environment and a daily routine. Do you have a sibling or other relative who is trusted by your Special Needs individual? Is that sibling or other relative in a position to take on the care of the Special Needs Individual?
Key: Plan ahead to ease the transition.


Living Arrangements.

As stated above, messing with your Special Needs individual’s surroundings create a stressful and difficult situation for most Special Needs children. Is the Special Needs child an adult? Is he or she capable of staying in the home? Can the Special Needs child afford the upkeep and maintenance of the home?
Key: Discuss possible living arrangements with your family.



Your Special Needs individual typically receives government benefits to pay for his or her needs. If you give your Special Needs individual an inheritance, you jeopardize the flow of government benefits to the Special Needs individual.
Key: Talk to an attorney about your options.



A well-crafted estate plan which includes a Special Needs Trust can address all of these issues. A Special Needs Trust is a trust set up for the benefit of a person who is receiving government benefits. It allows the individual to continue to receive government benefits. Just as important, it names a trustee to manage affairs for the individual, which in the case of Special Needs individuals, may be crucial for their continued well-being.


Next Steps.

Feel free to contact our office if you would like to set up a meeting with us. If you would like more information about Special Needs Planning, we encourage you to visit our blog (coming soon).

Learn about our services

Click on one of the links below to find out more about our services.

Grand Rapids Office

Estate Planning

We help clients with Living Trusts, Wills, Powers of Attorney, HIPAA Authorizations, and Health Care Powers of Attorney.

Estate Planning

Elder Law

We help clients with Medicaid Qualification, Veterans Benefits, End of Life Issues, Nursing Home Admissions.

Elder Law

Special Needs

We help clients with Special Needs Trusts, Guardianships, Conservatophsips, and related matters.

Special Needs

Probate & Trust Admin.

We help clients navigate through probate and trust administration when someone passes away.

Probate & Trust Administration

Call us at (616) 965-2060 or (269) 906-9782

Be part of our social network (coming soon)

Keep up with our posts (coming soon)

Site Map | DISCLAIMER | About | Services | Estate Planning | Elder Law | Special Needs | Probate and Trust Administration | Seminars | Meet | Contact | Grand Rapids | St. Joseph | Holland | Blog
Grand Rapids: 4595 Broadmoor Ave, SE, Suite 237, Grand Rapids, MI 49512 | GR Phone: (616) 965-2060
St. Joseph: 728 Pleasant St. Suite 104, St. Joseph, MI 49085 | SJ Phone: (269) 906-9782
(c) 2013 Westerbeke Law Firm, PLLC
Post Footer